[permaculture] Farm City: The Education of an Urban Farmer by Novella Carpenter

Tripp Tibbetts slowfoodguy at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 29 18:50:39 EST 2009

For my part on an urban scale, I grow my veggies in about 1000 sq ft of French intensive beds in my zone 1, surrounded by stacked perennial polycultures in my zone 2 areas - the goumis, fruit trees, hazels, hardy kiwis, almonds, etc.  Although the ecotone between zones is blurry in some areas and maximized for edge.  I try not to devote large, continuous areas of those intensive beds to any one crop, but there is definitely some simplicity of layout and harvest in those areas compared to the outer zone.  And of course more energy spent on compost teas, mulches, cover crops, and mineral applications.

But I don't think that's un-permacultural.

-Chinese proverb