[permaculture] Farm City: The Education of an Urban Farmer by Novella Carpenter

Mathew Waehner waehner at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 18:23:17 EST 2009

> If someone's main aim is simply high yield (with high inputs for high
> outputs), or simplicity, then they'll be disappointed with "hippie
> permaculture jungles,

My gardening experience is similar to Novella Carpenter's, and I too will be
moving away from the permaculture jungle approach for my vegetables.  My
kitchen garden will be small and productive, and I will cede some space at
the margins as my goumi, pawpaws, and mulberries grow in.

Isn't this a good way to manage Zone 2?  Would Novella Carpenter's
neighborhood be better served if her garden was less efficient and her
neighbors had to buy vegetables from grocery stores?