[permaculture] Farm City: The Education of an Urban Farmer by Novella Carpenter

Toby Hemenway toby at patternliteracy.com
Tue Dec 29 16:54:34 EST 2009

Tripp Tibbetts wrote:
> See what our friend, Novella Carpenter, is up to for New Year's:
>
> Increase productivity. This year, I’m creating French intensive beds.
> For awhile I was trying to do those hippie permaculture jungles, but
> I’m starting to see that for me, it isn’t as productive or easy to
> harvest as it could be.

If someone's main aim is simply high yield (with high inputs for high
outputs), or simplicity, then they'll be disappointed with "hippie
permaculture jungles," since the latter are multifunctional, and include
little items such as providing habitat, retaining soil, maintaining a
functioning ecosystem, and in general sharing the planet with others,
which means that sheer human food yields might be lower. And guess which
one has a chance of being sustainable?

Written just after a visit to a real permaculture jungle in Belize, at
Christopher Nesbitt's.
http:mmrfbz.org

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com