[permaculture] Question: Do Serviceberries Fix Nitrogen?

Keith D Johnson keithdj at mindspring.com
Sun Dec 27 19:14:42 EST 2009

I've never heard that serviceberries fix nitrogen and maybe Ian was thinking of Russian olive, specifically the cultivar goumi (Eleagnus multiflora), which does. Plant serviceberries anyway, though. I ate them growing up in Northern Mich when we went out with aunts, uncles, and cousins for almost tribal annual gathering. They are under-appreciated, delicious fruits loaded with antioxidants. We gathered many gallons this year from the mall(!), where they had been planted as "ornamentals", and NOBODY but us recognized them as edible (except, of course, the birds which greedily devoured them.)With many cultivars to choose from they can be selected to produce for almost a month and half instead of just for a week or so.