[permaculture] wikicultural

Tripp Tibbetts slowfoodguy at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 27 15:45:46 EST 2009

I haven't been following the wiki discussion thread -- mostly because I'm a total technophobe, and tend to leave that kind of stuff to the people who enjoy it -- so if I repeat anyone else's thoughts here, it is unintentional.

It occurred to me as I was waking early Christmas morning, that the development of a permaculture wiki is comparable to a transition from an annual system to a perennial one in a way.  Permacultural thought always seems to do this, whether intentionally or otherwise.  Lately I've felt overwhelmed by the sheer volume of emails and information arriving in my inbox daily, and while I know these links are nutrient dense and probably deserving of my time, it is often the case that I just don't have enough to explore them, or perhaps I'm involved in an equally interesting topic that day and don't wish to be side-tracked.  Even by top-tier information.

The listserv is a high energy system that can arrange itself in hodge-podge ways, and often doesn't exhibit the orchestrated, organically-developed, "webiness" of an established ecosystem...

But a wiki, now that's a different animal.  Over time, the information residues, the network hyphae, the sheer mind-numbing geometric expansion of interconnected knowledge that creates such a system, forms a stable, elegant, perennial ecosystem, that presents the precise rabbit-hole one needs at the precise time one needs to go down it.  The amount of information coming online doesn't slow down, but one can now choose to access that information "in season" if you will.  Local wisdom and relevant knowledge can be gleaned quickly, and in many cases, without the need to wait for an information web to develop around the issue.

A truly novel problem -- just like an opportunistic species moving into a disturbed site nested within an established ecosystem -- can then draw the entire focus of permaculture's hive-mind.  It's really pretty brilliant.

Tripp

-Chinese proverb