[permaculture] Greetings (attempt #7)

Keith Johnson keithdj at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 25 20:24:13 EST 2009

Travis,
Permaculture Canada seems to be active and with a new webpage at
http://www.permaculturecanada.ca/files/
I'm not a member so I can't view the forum to tell if its very busy or not.

When planting for coppiced mulch trees they can be very close, as much
as 1-2 ft between. Your rotation cycle for the particular diameter of
crop you intend to harvest will also determine spacing. For example, I'm
coppicing willows for basketry, mulch, screening and fodder with 2 ft
spacing in row and 3 ft between rows. It's a small patch with about 12
trees that are now about 8-10 ft tall but I will keep them in the 5-8 ft
range to maintain screening between us and our neighbors. We also
planted several leguminous tree / shrub species right in our garden with
the idea that they will be used for mulch, fodder, trellis, and shade.
See the article in issue # 40, Coppice-with-Standards: New Forestry with
Ancient Roots by Peter Bane. If you don't have that issue you can get a
copy for $10US....or you can read it (without the illustrations) at
http://www.agroforestry.net/overstory/overstory47.html
**
Balsam poplar is very wet tolerant and often found on streambanks so I'd
put them in the wet spots if they're not too far from their usepoints.
Your planned use of the maples and oaks (e.g., tapping, mushrooms, etc)
will indicate whether they can be closer or further from the poplars. If
you are rigorous in regularly harvesting the poplar you can have them
quite close, but since they kind of like to be a thicket it probably
best to keep them at a distance so that you can access the other
trees....which is why I keep the willows mostly in their own zone (with
the exception of some smaller species like the ornamental japanese and
the corkscrews). You probably want to keep them away from leachfields or
constructed wetlands to avoid clogging them.

Still not sure why so many of my emails failed to reach the list and
that is still a bit disturbing to me. Lawrence could offer no explanation.
Keith

--

Keith Johnson
"Be fruitful and mulch apply."

- Transition Indiana <http://transitionindiana.blogspot.com/> - Blog
<http://transitionindiana.blogspot.com/>

- Transition Bloomington <http://transitionbloomingtonind.ning.com/>
- The Gardeners' World Blog <http://theecosystem.blogspot.com/>
- Renaissance Farm and Permaculture Center
<http://bloomingtongrowers.locallygrown.net/growers/show/212>
- Bloomington Permaculture Growers Cooperative
<http://bloomingtongrowers.locallygrown.net/>
- Bloomington Permaculture Guild Blog
<http://bloomingtonpermacultureguild.blogspot.com/> - Calendar
<http://my.calendars.net/bloomingtonpccal/>