[permaculture] Permaculture wikis & making a major impact

Lawrence F. London, Jr. venaurafarm at bellsouth.net
Thu Dec 24 01:59:49 EST 2009

Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:
> Chris Watkins wrote:
>
>> There's a misconception that wikis will magically create a useful resource,
>
> Well, here's a little magic that could be made to happen:
> http://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Semantic_MediaWiki
> "Semantic MediaWiki (SMW) is a free extension of MediaWiki – the
> wiki-system powering Wikipedia – that helps to search, organise, tag,
> browse, evaluate, and share the wiki's content. While traditional wikis
> contain only text which computers can neither understand nor evaluate,
> SMW adds semantic annotations that let you easily publish Semantic Web
> content, and allow the wiki to function as a collaborative database."
>
> Note: " allow the wiki to function as a collaborative database".
> This is what we have been wanting for half a decade.

An enlightening testimonial about SMW:

http://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Testimonials

"SMW is best of breed: open source with a very active community,
bringing together Web 2.0 (wikis) with the Semantic Web, thus
contributing to the emerging Social Semantic Web. An ideal mix to
combine the textual power of wikis with features of online databases and
semantics.

Bernhard Krabina, KDZ - Centre for Public Administration Research "

So, it appears that there are user communities dedicated to a particular
subject that are becoming cyber communities united around the Semantic
Web architecture. We could be the first to originate the Permaculture
Semantic Web. Talk about a unifying global permaculture resource. This
could be what we are all wanting and needing.