[permaculture] Permaculture wikis & making a major impact

Lawrence F. London, Jr. venaurafarm at bellsouth.net
Thu Dec 24 01:42:24 EST 2009

Chris Watkins wrote:

> I did a project looking at this: Green wikis and development
> wikis <http://www.appropedia.org/Green_wikis_and_development_wikis> - you
> can click on the table columns and compare the size and activities of the
> wikis.

That is a major piece of work, Chris, kudos to you.
I looked and said how on earth did he do all that fancy content
formatting ...

What's the best way to learn how to do tables and other fancy text
formatting with embedded links as you did at appropedia?

Maybe some of us favoring Wikis aren't realistic about attracting
significant input from users, transient or long term. Still it is,
as Bob advocates, a perfect medium. Its no different from blogs and
websites, yet another wiki, no matter. Some will develop, some will
remain empty. Best to give them a try. I feel that our permaculture wiki
at permaculture.info is quite important, or could become so, to all of
us for all the reasons I have described so far in a dozen posts in this
thread. There really isn't anywhere else to do what we see as important,
a wiki thats easy to use with a helpful, guiding community, that seems
rare to me.

As an alternative to permaculture.info I am planning to develop
www.ibiblio.org/permaculture in the event anyone wants to use it.
I might experiment with  Semantic Mediawiki there. If that is a success
this will provide an advanced platform for us to use as a companion to
permaculture.info. I probably will put my collection of permaculture
information there, duplicating what I add to permaculture.info.
My primary goal for this site is to develop market farming resources.
This will be the place where I put all the best information I have on
the subject. That would include snippets from posts to this list;
things of value to permaculture people involved with or interested in
the subject of small (or large) scale production of farm products
destined for market, or barter or donation.

LL