[permaculture] [Fwd: [SANET-MG] Convert landfills to compost!]

Tripp Tibbetts slowfoodguy at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 23 19:35:18 EST 2009

Lawrence London wrote:

>"In some cases it is corporations dominated and run by mbas and lawyers
while ceo's and favored underlings languish in posh resorts as the work
of the original owners, the corporate founders, is run into the ground
through mismanagement then bankruptcy while employees are cut adrift to
fend for themselves. When you look at that mindset in the context of
trying to organize and preserve grassroots local-oriented farming,
environmental stewardship and the dissemination and use of permaculture
in the USA it should give new incentive to all of us interested in
making this happen no matter how long it takes."

Does anything about this scenario sound sustainable to anyone?  No more sustainable than infinite growth on a finite planet.  I've noticed that the more I pay attention to nature, and the less I listen to the buffoons, the more I realize that the planet is already beginning to recover.  A new breeding pair of northern flickers moved into my 'hood this fall, to join the kestrel that arrived mid-summer.  That kestrel lives almost exclusively on the flock of sparrows that dog my chicken feed.  So right in the middle of all the ignorance and self-important greed, now my little urban garden has its own kestrel.

Since humans are part and parcel of Nature, there's a damn good chance that our recovery will go the same direction.  Everywhere I look I see new gardens, new urban chickens, more people walking, biking, and talking on the streets.  My front yard garden draws neighbors like a honey pot draws flies, and they tell me they feel safer with me on the look-out.

Geoff Lawton says you can solve all the world's problems in a garden.  I'm starting at least 3 new ones with friends this spring, and they have no idea how dangerous self-reliance can be.  Dangerous to the corporations that is...

Tripp out.

-Chinese proverb