[permaculture] Permaculture Design Courses and their value in learning Permaculture.

Lawrence F. London, Jr. venaurafarm at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 23 19:13:27 EST 2009

I have never taken a PD course, only a weekend workshop
offering several courses plus field trips for brainstorming solutions to
problems at sites we visited. This was a completely new thing to do,
not a gardeners or farmers meeting but a permaculture event to enlighten
us to what it was all about. That lit the fire in me to learn more
aand embrace permaculture as the ingenious umbrella discpline that is
it, encompassing horticulture, site preparation, all aspects of farming,
constuction, renewable energy and community skills and a way of thinking
about you own life and lifestyle.

After reading all the comments about PD curriculula and the standards at
the core of permaculture and being previously in doubt whether I had any
need for a PD course, I am now convinced that yes, I do need that and
yes, it is essential for anyone seriously interested in pursuing
permaculture in their lives.

I'd like to give a big thumbs up to all those who venture into the field
of offering this coursework to new students and others already familiar
with permaculture who know that the learning process never ends.

I think that is easy to see why it is important that PD instructors
have the necessary training themselves, are certified and have had work
and field experience. Farmers aren't required to have training but they
do have to meet strict standards and are government regulated. The
permaculture movement should willingly be self policing and self
regulating. Those involved should want to do this and feel enriched by
the process, thats positive feedback in action.

LL