[permaculture] Manitoba maple and balsam poplar, was Re: Greetings

dwoodard at becon.org dwoodard at becon.org
Sun Dec 20 13:05:59 EST 2009

a caution: here in the Niagara Peninsula of southern Ontario, both
Manitoba maple and balsam poplar could be regarded as weed trees if there
is anything else you want to grow. Balsam polar is a lovely fast growing
tree that spreads aggressively by root sprouts.

Another aggressive weed here is black locust, Robinia pseudoacacia,
although it is very useful for fence posts (long-lasting in soil), and is
a good nectar tree, especially the cultivar semperflorens. It has been
used to enhance growth of pines etc. by nitrogen fixing. I see Japanese
pagoda tree spreading aggressively also.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada