[permaculture] Permaculture Going Wild

Tripp Tibbetts slowfoodguy at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 17 15:39:08 EST 2009

I wasn't confused by the formatting.  I was confused by your aggressive tone, and some of the less considered ideas you were putting forth.  Like that I was advocating using pesticides when I was speaking allegorically about trying to stamp out "invasive species" of varying sorts in the permaculture ideal, and how, as with kudzu, that is not only impossible, but counter-productive.  I understand that permaculture is "free and open to anyone"...so long as you take the "right" intro course taught by the "right" people approved by the "right" approving agency.  Free and open.  Yes.  Got it.

The correlations in this evolving discussion to the big picture of permaculture itself are fascinating, and not about to go away through bullying, any more than the Bullock brothers' muskrats (in Gaia's Garden) would have been eradicated through violence.  And even if they had driven out the rats, a new interloper would've descended upon them to soak up the liberated excess.  So, by correlation, bullying me into silence would only quiet that particular source of questioning.  It will come right back in another form.  (Not that I particularly like comparing myself to a muskrat!)  The Bullocks accepted the loss of their delicious cattail shoots as inevitable under the conditions, and were rewarded for their patience and wisdom when the apex predators moved in to dine on their problem.

So what Holger and I are trying to say (Holger, correct me if I'm wrong) is that since it's a losing battle to try to control permaculture's trajectory anyway, why not be malleable about the situation, and think ecologically.  If the muskrats move in, their excess will draw in the eagles.  And unless one views themself as Nature's appointed apex predator, my thought would be that fighting the muskrats is both resource draining and counter-productive, inevitably stalling succession.

And Holger's right, the world is really tired of American hubris/policing/superiority/meddling....

Am I making sense here?  I've noticed if there's no positive feedback on this forum that quite often the negative automatically assumes it's been called upon to straighten things out.  If "the bigs" on this forum are following this thread, my guess is that they've turned ruminant on the subject.

I'm with you, Lawrence, on the pattern of agents provacateurs in western protest.  I've just lost my appetite for chatting about the details for some reason.

Tripp out.

-Chinese proverb