[permaculture] Permaculture Going Wild

Lawrence F. London, Jr. venaurafarm at bellsouth.net
Thu Dec 17 14:26:38 EST 2009

Tripp Tibbetts wrote:

Was a text formatting problem, a matter of separating quoted text from
replies. When I reply, sometimes the quoted text lacks line any breaks
so I copy and paste into another email message and its gets properly
formatted but without the quote marks in the right place; I get tired of
reformatting and typing columns of >'s.

My reply was clear though:

Permaculture is already free and open to anyone. Get busy, practice
permaculture, nobody's in your way. Form your own groups, guilds,
communities, practice and teach permaculture as fits your needs for the
bioregion you're in. Its just that you'll do it beter following
Mollison's ideas and methods as a starting point, go from there. That's
why the STANDARDS needs to be upheld and preserved so others will have
the best STARTING POINT that is available. Then improve on it. This just
seems obvious.

> What issues were you involved in activism for?
>
> Anti-war? Tax reform? Free Tibet? Fund raising for low income people?
> Municipal landscapes, parks and community gardens, urban neighborhood
> farms? Providing healthcare for the needy?

I am still curious what causes you were involved with as an activist.

During the early 60's when the civil rights movement was in full swing,
I had friends who were actively involved in demonstrations that went on
in my home town and on marches elsewhere in the South. One friend
who played football when he was in school at UNC participated in a sit
in at a restaurant outside town. He was titting with others near the
doorway and the owner, a woman, came out, straddled his head, pulled up
her dress and took a pee on his head. Didn't phase him. I was not
involved in any activist demonstrations, then or since. In the case of
union organizing, especially in industrialized cities, it is reputedly
almost mandatory and gets results whereas in the case of enviro activism
that gets out of control and causes property damage, I think those folks
should have stayed at home and blogged or twitted (2nd nature to some)
and that the worst offenders at those events were probably agents
provocateurs or thugs put there for that purpose of making the peaceful
activists look bad.