[permaculture] John Ross permaculture post

Tripp Tibbetts slowfoodguy at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 17 12:47:57 EST 2009

In my intro ecology course at Florida we had an ecosystem simulation program that allowed the user to design the species composition, fire frequency and intensity, etc.  It would then run an accelerated succession sequence, and the user could watch the system evolve, burn, grow and decay.  The ultimate goal of the "game" was to design a stable system that wasn't over-run by any particular species, or burned up by fire.  The longer you could get the system to survive in dynamic equilibrium the better.  Even this rudimentary version of what you're discussing was pretty exciting to watch!  And compete with!  Much more fun than Farmville.  I'm always inviting my friends who play that crap over to help me garden.  Invariably denied.  Maybe I should design a helmet that would enclose the view within a PC screen and lash a mouse to their hand.  I could even pretend to do their bidding...for a bit.  But I think they'd be disappointed to find out
 that raspberries take a bit longer than 3 hours from planting to harvest...

I might be able to get my hands on that simulation program if someone wanted to use it as a construct.

Tripp

-Chinese proverb