[permaculture] Permaculture Going Wild

Tripp Tibbetts slowfoodguy at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 16 22:09:30 EST 2009

Holger, I for one am glad you wrote this!  I was sitting down to work on the very same thought process when I saw your post.  (Not sure mine would have been quite as eloquent.)

I used to be a very active political dissenter.  I spent a significant portion of my time reading, writing, protesting, and calling representatives about what I perceived to be gross political indignations.  How could we be possibly heading this direction as a nation??  Have we no sense of decency?

Then, watching an interview with David Holmgren one day, I discovered permaculture, and instantly came to grips with the solution embedded within the problem.  I was stuck in quicksand, and the more I struggled the more I felt defeated, flabbergasted, and red under the collar.  And it wasn't accomplishing anything!  Aside from raising my blood pressure, and alienating me from some of my friends.

In one turn I both gave up politics, AND became a more effective political model.  I got busy changing myself instead of demanding that the world do it first, and now people actually ASK for my political opinion!

Now obviously I'm not suggesting that anyone on this list isn't well on their way to being a top-tier member of the planet's biosphere.  I just whole-heartedly agree with Holger.  It's not controllable.  It's viral, and wants to be cut loose.  It's demanding to be freed.

There isn't an option.  I'm sorry if that offends the appointed defenders of our lady's integrity, but recombinant ecologies are already busy covering the bare soil.  Pull that kudzu and spray it if you like, but Nature will not be denied.

And like Holger said, there could be far worse things going feral on us.

Tripp out.

-Chinese proverb