[permaculture] Answering questions about credentials

LINDARAY at att.net LINDARAY at att.net
Wed Dec 16 13:24:07 EST 2009

Hi Scott,

I do understand why they might be cautious, and while I think it's a shame they probably have to be, I certainly don't blame them for it. It would be interesting to read the first letter you wrote them.

After watching the Biodynamic bunch (several years ago) and the Seedsavers Exchange get hijacked, who knows what's coming over the horizon next.

They can't tell whether to expect a handshake or a lawsuit from you, so they are well justified in being cautious. You have sent them a letter on paper on letterhead, right? A phone call would have been less threatening, and gotten your answers for you without the delay of snailmail. Someone *who wants to know you* would call. Someone who's documenting something would send a written letter.

If my first contact with a new neighbor were a written letter, I'd think something was wrong with them too.

There's a difference between someone introducing themselves and extending the hand of friendship, and sending them a written inquiry wanting to know 'who the h_ll are *you*, and justify to me whether or not you're legitimate'.

They're probably just folks who are trying to do good work, and don't want to get embroiled in a monumental and counterproductive waste of time dealing with expensive litigation from out-of-the-blue, instead of the work they meant to do in the first place.

I can't speak for them and am not trying to, just giving you my perspective on it.

Myself, I'm glad more folks are out there spreading the word for Permaculture, as no doubt you are also doing.. Makes your work easier too.

The more the word gets out, the better a world we have.

Namaste,

Linda
Save the Earth, it's the only planet with chocolate...

-------------- Original message from "Scott Pittman" <scott at permaculture.org>: --------------