[permaculture] Update on the outcome of the FDA Food Safety Modernization Act (S.510)

Lawrence F. London, Jr. venaurafarm at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 16 02:06:04 EST 2009

I contacted my state's Senators, Hagan and Burr and received replies
from them and an additional one from Senator Richard Burr, Republican
Senator from North Carolina. In this letter he says:

<first paragraph deleted>

"The FDA Food Safety Modernization Act (S.510), which was recently
approved by the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and
Pensions, would expand our food safety system and protect consumers
while exempting small farmers and local food businesses from unnecessary
and overreaching requirements. During the debate on the bill,
I introduced an amendment to ensure that farms, small businesses,
and businesses that sell directly to consumers are represented in the
process of developing guidance in the public safety standards and that
the FDA conduct outreach and education to these folks through local
public meetings. I am pleased to report that my amendment was accepted.

I also worked with the North Carolina Department of Agriculture to
include language in the bill that would utilize current state food
safety inspectors  instead of new FDA employees, which encourages
better coordination among local, state, and federal food safety
agencies, and a common sense approach to food safety as it related to
small farms."

<last paragraph deleted>

Here's a big thanks to Senator Burr. I am delighted that representatives
of the Republican Party are helping small and local farmers and
associated businessmen in this substantial way.

Lawrence London
Venaura Farm
Sustainably-Grown Produce
lflj at bellsouth.net