[permaculture] work - was the gardener's shadow...

Lee Flier leeflier at comcast.net
Mon Dec 14 17:46:19 EST 2009

Mitch Triplett wrote:
> Thanks Lee.  All excellent points.  To try to be more clear...
>
> My post wasn't directed at you personally.  It was more about the frequency
> with which I hear/read the 'design to recline' maxim vs. something like
> 'make plans to use your hands'.
Yeah.  I guess though that the presumption is that people already know
that anything to do with gardening, landscaping, forestry, homesteading,
etc. is a lot of work, as I mentioned. Therefore that the more important
point is that if we design intelligently and work with natural systems,
it's *less* work than we usually imagine.

Sure, there are some folks who will get the wrong idea... but I would
rather see somebody get inspired and fall in love with permaculture,
even if it appears to be a short lived infatuation, than never to hear
those maxims at all.  If it gets people thinking that perhaps taking a
long term approach to design will ultimately result in less work, I
suspect that's a mindset that will be useful to them at some point, even
if not in a garden. :)

> It's been fairly obvious over the past weeks that many folks' posts are
> biased toward their particular way of practicing Pc.  Nothing wrong with
> that.

No, definitely not.  It's just good to remind ourselves and each other
sometimes that we're all working in different situations.

Your property sounds wonderful!  I look forward to hearing more of your
progress as it goes along. :)