[permaculture] work - was the gardener's shadow...

Mitch Triplett mtriplett at bctonline.com
Mon Dec 14 13:30:18 EST 2009

Thanks Lee.  All excellent points.  To try to be more clear...

My post wasn't directed at you personally.  It was more about the frequency
with which I hear/read the 'design to recline' maxim vs. something like
'make plans to use your hands'.

It's been fairly obvious over the past weeks that many folks' posts are
biased toward their particular way of practicing Pc.  Nothing wrong with
that.  As an aside, we're just getting started with the establishment phase
- we don't have livestock (perhaps someday), we won't have children to home
school, we haven't installed irrigation (again, perhaps someday)...  These
were just examples off the top of my head.

We are trying to design a labor:produce ratio that will continue to favor
the latter more and more (to a point) because I know full well that what I'm
doing now is absolutely not sustainable in the long run.  And the further we
can tip that ratio toward the produce side of the scale, the better off our
successors will be too.  After four years of living here, I just don't see
any other way of getting us to where we want to be without an enormous
amount of sweat.  I can't imagine the insane amount of work anyone involved
in economic-Pc, legal-Pc, etc. must be doing to get their voices heard.
Yikes.

I watch the wildlife that grace our property as often as I can.  The 6 deer
that commute past our house every 2-3 days spend much of their waking lives
working to stay live, either foraging or fleeing.  They work hard.  We work
hard.  Fortunately, we're all on the same team.

Like the deer, we play too.  Sometimes not as often as we'd like, but for
the most part enough to keep us from feeling like we're indentured to the
property - more like a calling than servitude.  If the best fertilizers are
footprints and shadows, we should strive to cast them often.  The deer are
great role models.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Mitch Triplett
Tri-Pearl Family Forest