[permaculture] OT Re: the gardener's shadow falls both ways

Lee Flier leeflier at comcast.net
Sun Dec 13 19:14:39 EST 2009

fdnokes at hotmail.com wrote:
> The word 'magical' should not offend you, as it relates only to the
> 'quality' of being.

It doesn't offend me.  I don't think you read my post too carefully.
The word "magical" is not what I complained about at all.

> To work with
> land and with plants is to work with the mystery of life at some of its
> deepest levels.
I agree with this, as I've already said several times in this
discussion.  What I don't agree with is recommending a book that
requires belief in a discorporate being who is channeled through someone
else's body.

> As to science, those that travel deeply into fields of science are witness
> to the deepening of the mystery, not the stripping of life from it.

Again, we agree.  But that doesn't mean a scientist would read a Seth
book and take it seriously.
> So, before you imply censorship, think again.  Some of your ideas are
> getting rather 'crusty' and to give yourself license to censor, and limit,
> will only make them more so.
I'm not trying to "censor" anything.  If you don't see the reasoning
behind what I'm saying, then by all means carry on however you wish.

> I was not aware that anyone was playing 'teacher' on this list, but thought
> that everyone was here for their own purposes. If that purpose is merely to
> gather students, I would not say that would be a list that I would feel as
> comfortable in as one where everyone felt that had something to gain from
> some of the posts, and knew which ones they could ignore.

I don't think it's so much that anyone's "playing teacher" as that
sometimes we can lose sight of the fact that there are folks joining
(who may not participate much if at all) who are entirely new to
permaculture, and I happen to feel it's important to consider these
folks.  Sure, different people have different purposes in being here, me
included.  But in any public forum I do try to consider the impact of my
words on others who may not be part of the discussion.  You may or may
not feel the same way, but you can expect my responses to be in
consideration of those folks.