[permaculture] the gardener's shadow falls both ways

Lawrence F. London, Jr. venaurafarm at bellsouth.net
Sun Dec 13 18:49:07 EST 2009

Lee Flier wrote:
> Or worse - they're control freaks using the mantle of "permaculture
> teacher" to push their personal agenda on others.  I've seen this a lot,
> unfortunately.  Most of these folks try to hoist Mollison on his own
> petard by pointing out that permaculture is meant to be decentralized,
> therefore if they disagree with Mollison on something, Mollison must be
> wrong, he's not a god or a guru, etc.  All of which is true, but beside
> the point.

___EXACTLY___. Case in point, much of the discussion that has ensued
here over the past month. After the fact, after all the work has been
done by Mollison and Holmgren and many others pursuing their approach to
developing the permaculture movement "now its time to decentralize the
movement, rid it of any central authoritarian heirarchy, and give the
work of writers, teachers and keepers of the keys away for free to the
public at large. It works both ways; useful resources need to be made
available to the world, a common knowledgebase needs to be built and
made available for free, but it needs to be done in a way that respects
the hard work of people offering products and services they sell to earn
their livelihood; after all they have committed themselves to do this
for a lifetime, i.e. locked in with no other options for generating
income in some if not most cases.