[permaculture] the gardener's shadow falls both ways

Toby Hemenway toby at patternliteracy.com
Sun Dec 13 17:35:23 EST 2009

I've terrifically enjoyed these threads, and keep finding that about
anything I could think of saying (and then some!) is being said, and
well. Thanks for such sensitive and intelligent words.

A couple of notes: Mitch's horror story about his PDC shows one of the
big drawbacks to decentralized processes. Those "teachers" were not
following the curriculum set down by Mollison in the PDC handbook. There
is no "Zone 0" (personal psychology) in the curriculum. Nor flag
painting. You don't teach seed saving on day 1. You don't synopsize
people's books in class. I don't think these folks had the chops to
teach a PDC, and were filling the days with crap to make up for their
own incompetence. Fortunately, these teachers are the exception. There
is an established procedure of training (2 years full-time work in
design and teaching with experienced mentors, taking a teacher training,
and more) and I doubt if those clowns followed it.

To those considering taking a PDC: do your homework, just like you would
before spending money on a college, car, or doctor. You wouldn't go in
blind to any of those, right? Get recommendations from their students,
get a copy of their curriculum, and find out who they learned from and
how, and how many courses they've taught and where. Most teachers are
good, but there are some flakes out there, and there are also teachers
with whom your learning style may not be compatible.

Since there is no credential process, the next best indicator, I think,
is lineage: Who taught them, and who taught their teachers? To some
extent, the fewer links between them and Mollison, the better. And some
lineages have far more New Age practices, or circle dancing, or
whatever, than others, and some are very urban, and some very
scientific, and some consensus oriented, and others more autocratic in
style. Ask around. Hell, ask me off list; I know a lot of teachers.

 And in reply to an earlier question, dance and song are excellent ways
of learning, having been used to teach for millennia. But I'd be
circumspect about what is being sung or danced. As we've seen here,
spirituality in PDCs is a hot button. To me, a song about the mother
goddess is no more appropriate for a PDC than is a song about our all
being lambs of Jesus or children of Legba. Earth-centered spirituality
is so much the water permies swim in that we can be blind to its
presence. I've had evangelical Christians, Muslims, and hasidic Jews in
my classes point out how excluding some of our language is. Some folks
would be offended at being made to sing Christian hymns in a PDC; others
at being asked to sing about Gaia. If we stick to stuff that works for
everyone, we reach a lot more people. Lee made this point very nicely:
You can pray to whoever you want or to no one, and a solar panel still
collects.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com