[permaculture] the gardener's shadow falls both ways

Lee Flier leeflier at comcast.net
Sun Dec 13 17:00:42 EST 2009

fdnokes at hotmail.com wrote:
> P.P.S.  I reread my post as it came in, and edited does not create community
> to does not necessarily create community, but community is never a
> guarantee, is it? It's always rather complex, like a square inch of soil!

Yes exactly.

In a PDC setting there's also quite a high likelihood that people of all
different cultures will be there, and will be taking what they learn
back to their own, existing communities.  So that's why it becomes
important not to alienate anyone, regardless whether it creates a sense
of community among the students or not.  But as I say... just because
nothing explicitly spiritual is mentioned doesn't mean a sense of a
community *doesn't* develop, either.  There are plenty of ways and
opportunities to become a community without encroaching on anybody's
spiritual "space" or lack thereof.

It's hard enough to challenge people's cultural assumptions even when
you can repeatably demonstrate better alternatives!