[permaculture] the gardener's shadow falls both ways

fdnokes at hotmail.com fdnokes at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 13 15:41:21 EST 2009

Interesting discussion...
Truly, community will move ahead or fall apart on lines of culture...
Yes, having courses that are free of it will offer something to everybody.
But, they will not create community.

I recall the permaculture course offered at Alba Nueve next door to where we
sojourned in CR...
Was friends with the teacher, and she did speak with the students of the
concept of 'tribe' and finding it...
She was experienced in much of the youth movement that involves itself in
such activities as the Rainbow gatherings...
She introduced the concept, but I doubt that she did more than that. The
course group was varied in its composition.
Wouldn't it be a part of a course to have people introduce themselves, where
they're coming from, why they're in the course, etc.?
I would think the responsibility of the teacher is to provide amenable
cultural content to the students that they have agreed to teach, within the
realms of their capability.

On another note, there is a whole body of course work about building
community with awareness of other dimensions of life beyond the overt focus
of our modern global culture.
In particular, I took a course with Carol Heywood Bebrauskas, a NW pacific
'seer', who had been to Findhorn and wanted to share with us the exercises
for building community that she had learned there.
Interestingly, if you really look into 'presence', you'll find that it takes
some work to bring people into presence. People have analyzed where people
really are half the time, and mostly it's not here and now.
So, there is a place for these subtleties in the here and now... Bringing
people into presence, without any terminology of that nature, would
definitely be part of any teacher's agenda in any subject, if they wished to
be successful.

Frances