[permaculture] the gardener's shadow falls both ways

fdnokes at hotmail.com fdnokes at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 13 14:57:59 EST 2009

No, I suppose it's not. But I'll retain my wonderful memories of our Costa
Rican host having us contemplate each species while finding purpose in our
souls before harvesting plants for a salve, and in so many other ways
encouraging a positive relationship between ourselves and the plants.  Her
attitude was that if you weren't happy, she did not want to have you working
in the garden. Plants have feelings too, and important for humans working
with them to tune themselves to give their best...  Fukuoka's oft quoted
line: "The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops, but the
cultivation and perfection of human beings."
What's a life for?
I feel I'm drifting far off your 'practicality' meter.
But, it's been fun!
Personally, I don't want to be near people who are working drudgefully... At
one of our stops, helping out on a retreat, some folks had recently turned
their attentions elsewhere, and, interestingly, the common garden still
carried that feeling of bored stiff duty...
I'm not sure I would want to listen to someone spinning out their versions
of these stories if I paid for a PDC, but I sure would be fussy about who I
would have teaching me!
At 57, I'm not jumping into coursework all to often. I've mainly resigned
myself to the school of life. I spend much time serving to others as allies
in their lives in coursework.
Have to admit, though, all this talk has me embarking on a little research
to see what's around locally in the way of PDC's. A friend of mine almost
took a course this summer, a bit down island from here, and I've already put
a call in to her to see what she knows/plans to do... Also interested in
hearing more about on line course offerings as those are more liberated
geographically speaking. I would be interested in hearing about any on line
pdc course within the NW Pacific area.

Cheers!
Frances