[permaculture] the gardener's shadow falls both ways

Tripp Tibbetts slowfoodguy at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 13 12:54:05 EST 2009

I don't believe any of us are post-poning the joy of that connection.  If you don't feel it, you don't feel it.  Fair enough.  But I'd like to propose that the anti- sentiment is at least as dogmatic in nature as what I've been talking about.  Hard-line science and Darwinian gradualism produce a certain type of superiority and inherent condescension that one usually only sees in the certainty attending religious faith.  It's a brutal irony that afflicted me as recently as a year ago.

I think as long as we subscribe to a Cartesian dualism that delineates practicality and spiritual belonging-ness, we certainly will never fully understand the connections reported by Fukuoka, Einstein, Stamets, DaVinci, Newton, Galileo....not exactly a bunch of teleological flakes.

So I'll be sure to add that question to my interview of possible PDC instructors.  If you have a religious conviction that the deep and interconnected weavings of permaculture have nothing to do with spirit, then I think I'll pass.  Unfortunately, that rules Bill Mollison out.

I also find it interesting that the voices of some of the old-timers, who think of dancing and singing at permaculture gatherings as completely benign, are distinctly absent from this discussion.  We've got some hairs to split here, guys.  Don't you want in?

Thank you, Fran, for adding to this topic.  I have to say the speed with which this door keeps getting pushed closed is really interesting.

Tripp out.

-Chinese proverb