[permaculture] the gardener's shadow falls both ways

Lee Flier leeflier at comcast.net
Sun Dec 13 00:04:58 EST 2009

fdnokes at hotmail.com wrote:
> Conversations with plants. I'd rather steer clear of any courses than lose such a precious connection.   Not that they need by mutually exclusive, however.
No, and that's the point.  The point is not that we shouldn't have
spiritual dimensions, it's that no one's particular religious or
spiritual leanings should be forced on students (or teachers) at a PDC.
Someone else may have a different leaning and it might be offensive to
them at best.  At worst, it can be dangerous to base one's actions and
decisions on superstition.  As far as I can tell, talking to plants
never hurt anybody - I do it too. :)  But some things people do aren't
so innocuous.

I think permaculture is inherently spiritual as it is, given that it
stresses the interconnectedness between all things, and the aliveness
and abundance of all things.  But it's also inherently practical, in
that it focuses on the here and now, and the beauty of what we can
observe right in front of us.