[permaculture] The Heretic - Was Thoughts on PDCs

Tripp Tibbetts slowfoodguy at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 12 23:39:13 EST 2009

The idea that plants and fungi possess a certain spirit and connectedness that industrial man is unfamiliar with is not unheard of.  Most indigenous cultures treat that idea as self-evident.  Einstein apparently caught a glimpse of that connection, and spent the rest of his career trying to put his finger on it.  The Indian rishis, animist cultures, and Buddhist masters routinely have these experiences.

Coming from a militantly atheistic, ecologically-based background, my more recent experience suggests that I should roll with Einstein on this one.  Perhaps there is a moment when we mentally become part and parcel of Nature again -- we return to the garden if you will -- which provides a certain transcendence of the separation and anxiety of the last 10,000 years.  I doubt I'd get much resistance to that idea from the late Fukuoka or Paul Stamets.  Even David Holmgren admits that it's possible.

The Black Death and domestication of dairy animals both drove evolution in significant ways.  How much larger might a reversal of our energetics reality prove to be?

Although the Aquarians have no doubt sensationalized the idea.

Thanks, Ben, for a brilliant post.

Tripp out.

-Chinese proverb