[permaculture] - Thoughts on PDCs

Michael Pilarski friendsofthetrees at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 12 14:46:03 EST 2009

Hear hear,

Holger Hieronimi’s 12/12 email (From Mexico) on pdcs was very good (to my way of thinking) and I echo many of his thoughts.

Perhaps Holger’s most important point for me was “We do not need necessarily more Design certificate holders, *we need more Permaculture Activists. *Its your action that certificates you.”

A couple of common sayings that are appropriate here are: “Actions speak louder than words”; and “By their fruits, ye shall know them”. It is your successes that illustrate your grasp of permaculture principles, not a piece of paper. Permaculture is about action. It is about changing the world (albeit a little bit at a time). You can read and study all you want but it ain’t permaculture till it is put into practice.  A quote from Bill Mollison: “It isn’t permaculture until it’s on the ground”.

There is also something to be said for demonstrating permaculture principles in inter-personal relationships.  The concept of “harmonious interactions” fits here. If a person cannot interact harmoniously with other people than they are not going to be a good teacher or organizer (although they might still be good at creating good, physical systems).

The ideal permaculturist is good at putting physical systems on the ground AND good at harmonious social interaction. And whether or not they hold a permaculture design course certificate (or whether it is an accredited pdc or not) is somewhat of a moot point at this level.

This said, I still believe that taking a pdc is the quickest way for people to get a clear grasp of permaculture as a systems approach to designing. I heartily support permaculture design courses as a pre-requisite before people publicly teach or consult under the banner of permaculture (in addition to lots of reading, study and hands-on experience).

But lets face it, permaculture does not have a corner on the market of good design, good land stewardship, good ideas, etc.  It is only one of many great exciting things happening in the world to make the planet a better place for all living beings.  A real permaculturist will not feel superior to (or look down their noses at) the far greater numbers of people who are doing good work on the planet.  Some of the best practicing permaculturists on the planet have never even heard the word.  And lets face it, there are more than enough mediocre to crummy folks waving their permaculture design course certificates around and wanting to collect other people’s money for teaching and consulting.

Which brings us to another can of worms, which is: how can the permaculture movement exercize some quality control around permaculture teaching, consulting, etc. This has been debated within the movement for 30 years.  I don’t see how it is possible at this point and so we are currently left with building personal reputations and word of mouth.

Value diversity in how permaculture is taught, of which design courses is just one way (albeit a highly valued way).  And if permaculture design is site specific, client specific and culture specific, it seems to be the height of folly to make all pdcs a standardized curriculum no matter where taught in the world or to which cultural group.  None of my pdc courses has ever been exactly alike.  The bottom line for me is to inculcate the permaculture principles and design methodology.

PS. Just because their are some poor-quality pdcs doesn't invalidate pdcs in general.
My opinion is that a large majority of pdcs offered in the world are good quality.

To sum up, this letter has no conclusions, just some opinions.

Permacordially

Michael Pilarski