[permaculture] David Blume and "Alcohol Can Be A Gas"

Leo Brodie leobro at comcast.net
Fri Dec 11 14:03:55 EST 2009

Thomas, Thanks for reading and commenting thoughtfully on the Blume book. I agree with your conclusions, both pro and con.

Blume does make a persuasive case by using permaculture ideas. But for me, there's a "catch" that he doesn't address. It is that the equipment for fermentation and distillation, which costs in the thousands of dollars even on a small scale, has to be designed specifically for the inputs being used. Your equipment could process sugar beets, or process laurel hedge clippings, but not both. So once you choose your input, then you are committed to considerable monocrop production. Suddenly you're dealing with scalability issues that we're trying to minimize with polycultures. That may explain why we don't see successful, small-scale alcohol production operations.

As a postscript: Since I posed this question originally, I've learned more about biochar, which seems to be a much more promising technology. The lifecycle of biochar produces heat energy, sequesters carbon, and amends the soil.

Biochar needs a persuasive evangelist like David Blume.

Message: 6