[permaculture] deep mulch in Mediterannean climates. don't forget Jean Pain

Michael Pilarski friendsofthetrees at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 10 02:06:43 EST 2009

A small gripe.  would people not put "US Permaculture National Conference" in the subject line of a post when they are talking about something totally different.

On the topic of appropriateness of deep mulch in Mediterannean climates.  Some people may have had bad experience with this for one reason or another, but the decades long work of Jean Pain in a hot  Mediterannean bioregion in France included successfully growing gardens without irrigation with the use of deep mulch (in combination with other strategies).

His most in-depth description is in his book "Another Kind of Garden". I highly recommend his work for many reasons.  Including the use of woody biomass, conversion of biomass into energy, hot composting with biomass and fire reduction in chapparal ecosystems.

If you google it you will find various sources including an article in the pc activist.  Also it looks like it can be downloaded from http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4774652/THE_METHODS_OF_JEAN_PAIN_Another_Kind_of_Garden

I don't think we should make dogmatic statements like "deep mulch doesn't work in Mediterannean climates"  Too many factors are at play and things like this should be on a site by site basis.

respectfully

Michael Pilarski