[permaculture] NEWS UPDATE: permaculture.info Wiki || Was: Re: permaculture wiki

Lawrence F. London, Jr. venaurafarm at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 9 23:14:43 EST 2009

mIEKAL aND wrote:
> There is a full install of mediawiki with a lot of work put into it at:
>
> http://www.permaculture.info/index.php/Main_Page
>
> Not sure who's moderating this,

Rich Morris (user: salix alba)

> but it could easily be a good backbone
> for accumulating content if some sort of spam proof authentication was
> installed.  I removed spam from about 25 pages but there is still a
> lot more in there.  All that's really needed is some momentum to post
> content to it.

I just removed spam from all top level pages accessable from main and a
few one level deep.

This is an amazing piece of work; there is a lot of information there
and is a great beginning for a Permaculture Encyclopedia. I like the
interface; there are lots of useful features configured and accessable
to accountholders.  It is easy to use as an editor and for less easy
stuff a not very steep learning curve. Anyway, this wiki can be made
super simple to edit and browse.

I have talked with Scott Pittman of the Permaculture Institute, owner of
the domain permaculture.info (hosted by ibiblio), about revitalizing
this wiki project and putting its mission and potential back into focus.

Scott has given me permission to announce that he, and I, are interested
in working with volunteers from this list to reconfigure and breathe new
life into this wiki. Several major changes in configuration and access
need to happen for users who are accountholders: contributors (editors),
administrators and non accountholders: users who visit to browse and
search for information either directly, through links at other sites and
through Google searches.

We see three types of accountholders: 1) chief administrator(s),
2) sub or co-administrators of all or part(s) of topical heirarchies or
multiple topical heirarchies and 3) editors, users who can edit or
create pages in areas where they have permission.

Everyone else using the wiki would be the public-at-large.

A non-user could apply to be an accountholder in any of the three
categories by contacting an existing accountholder in the category he
wants to volunteer for work in for login registration approval and the
associated access level permission.

He (we, us) need at this point:

1) one or more chief system administrators
2) topical heirarchy administrators
3) editors

2) & 3) need not know any Linux. You'll be able to login to your account
and ahove access to all configuration options your level of access
grants you

More later. Onward.

LL
lflj at bellsouth.net