[permaculture] All the nitogen fixing trees everywhere. Optimistic?

Ray Cirino cobanation at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 9 02:41:36 EST 2009

Dear fruit tree growers,
I couldn't help to realize that most of the USA have non edible trees in the cities and sprawl areas. When I drive around the LA area it drives me nuts seeing all front and back yards really into their non-edible boring landscape. Garden centers hardly stock any edibles. Here's what I think is going to happen. All the years America has been out of farming and everyone having an edible garden, people have not had to grow food, so they grew nitrogen fixing trees and shrubs. To grow good fruit, the soils need these nitrogen based trees to really pop. I think if we had been growing fruit trees the last 60 years we'd be in trouble, because most soils would lack the right balance. In conclusion now we can start planting fruit trees, because the soils are ready, waiting for a food forest. Maybe things aren't as bad as they look.
Ray

The Great Challenges we now face as a species present the very opportunities that are giving birth to Ecological, Psychological, and Spiritual Sustainability.