[permaculture] Lupines and their uses.

Lawrence F. London, Jr. venaurafarm at bellsouth.net
Tue Dec 8 17:56:02 EST 2009

I once did a little homebrew literature search on lupines. They
appear to have special uses on a permaculture site (that is what a
_farm_ should be called), especially for nitrogen fixation and
building populations of beneficial microbes in the soil.

I would like to know more about the lupine varieties grown around the
world and how they are used and what the benefits are from cultivation
of this crop.

I noticed a picture of lovely lupine in bloom in the article on Keeping
Phosphorous On the Farm at:
http://permaculture.org.au/2009/07/23/phosphorus-matters-ii-keeping-phosphorus-on-farms/

On another note, after looking at the robust, beautiful, finely crafted
Permaculture Research Institute's website, http://permaculture.org.au,
I am impressed with the fact that the Australians, and New Zealanders &
Tasmanians (ex. Bill Mollison and the Soil & Health Library) are way
ahead of here on the North American continend in the arena of
development of the permaculture movement, networking within that
movement, development of information resources for the public and
possibly educational resources to include practitioner and certified
designer training. I think they are way ahead of us in the Scandinavian
countries and the UK and in much of eastern and western Europe. Of
course there is great potential for the spread of the Permaculture
movement and its methodologies in Russia as well.

I think we need to get with the program on this side of the big pond.