[permaculture] Borage

LBUZZELL at aol.com LBUZZELL at aol.com
Mon Dec 7 16:37:23 EST 2009

Hi Amy,

Interesting question!

I'm Larry Saltzman's wife and new to the list.  As most of you  probably
already know, Larry and I have a 1/3 acre permaculture backyard food  forest
in Santa Barbara, California -- and borage is a welcome plant at our  house.
I'm assuming you've long since discovered that the flowers are  delicious
and can be used in many ways as any edible flower.  One neat  trick is to put
one flower in each segment of your ice cube tray with water or  juice and
when frozen add the resulting ice cubes to lemonade or other  drinks.

I believe the leaves are also good raw, steamed or sauteed -- the  whole
plant has a cucumber taste.  It also self-seeds nicely, which we  appreciate.

I'm afraid I don't know about the medicinal uses.

I'm looking forward to participating in the permaculture discussions.
Larry and I took our PDC from Larry Santoyo in 2006. I'm a psychotherapist and
specialize in "ecotherapy" (_www.ecotherapyheals.com_
(http://www.ecotherapyheals.com) ) and  "invisible systems" that involve psyche, community and
culture. I'm also write a  regular column for The Huffington Post on
ecotherapy, permaculture and  other green issues
(_www.huffingtonpost.com/linda-buzzell_ (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/linda-buzzell) ).   I also manage a
google group called "perma-psychology" that explores the  connections between
permaculture and psychology.

Cheers,

Linda

Linda Buzzell, M.A., M.F.T.
Co-Editor, Ecotherapy:  Healing with Nature in Mind (Sierra Club Books,
2009)
Founder,  International Association for Ecotherapy
Editor, Ecotherapy  News

_www.ecotherapyheals.com_ (http://thoughtoffering.blogs.com/ecotherapy)
Santa Barbara, California
(805) 563-2089
lbuzzell at aol.com

In a message dated 12/7/2009 1:09:23 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,