[permaculture] Borage

maria morehead spiralmother at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 16:33:51 EST 2009

I've only used the flowers for herbal oils and vinegars but here's what else
I found.... http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/b/borage66.html
http://www.holistic-herbalist.com/borago-officinalis.html Culinary Uses Of
Borago officinalis:

   1. Leaves of borage are *cooked with* cabbage and cauliflower.
   2. Chopped leaves of borage are *added to soups* after they are away from
   the oven. They add a great flavor.
   3. *Cake decorations* are done with candied flowers of borage by
   grandmothers.
   4. *Salads* and soups are garnished with young leaves and flowers of
   borage. Summer cocktails and other drinks are also garnished traditionally
   with leaves and flowers.
   5. Flowers of borage are dried to add *color to potpourri*.
   6. Boiling, frying and simmering would result in loss of borage fragrance
   quickly.
   7. In Germany, *sauces* prepared from herbs are very popular in summer.
   And we have many such sauces that are freshly prepared in summer and most of
   them contain herbs and
vegetables<http://www.holistic-herbalist.com/borago-officinalis.html#>.

   8. *Green sauce* is made in Frankfurt and its ancient formula contains
   seven herbs - parsley, chervil, chives, cress, sorrel, burnet and borage.
   Lemon balm is a popular extra herb.
   9. Similar sauces and *pickles* are prepared in other parts of world with
   Borago officinalis and other herbs.

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 1:08 PM, Amy Little <amylittle at hvc.rr.com> wrote:

> Anyone know food and/or medicinal use of Borage leaves?

> Google command to search archives:

"Love is never a relationship; love is relating. It is always a river,
flowing, unending. Love knows no full stop; the honeymoon begins but never
ends. It is not like a novel that starts at a certain point and ends at a
certain point. It is an ongoing phenomenon. Lovers end, love continues– it
is a continuum. It is a verb, not a noun." Osho

“If one went to the extreme of giving the patient the full details of
mortality and morbidity related to cesarean section, most of them would get
up and go out and have their baby under a tree…”
-Neel, J. Medicolegal pressure, MDs’ lack of patience cited in cesarean
‘epidemic.’ Ob.Gyn. News Vol 22 No 10

Supporting vibrant health in my community by providing education, nutrition,
herbal connection and ritual through grateful interaction with Gaia.