[permaculture] Double-dug?

Lawrence F. London, Jr. venaurafarm at bellsouth.net
Mon Dec 7 16:09:37 EST 2009

Tripp Tibbetts wrote:
> Yes!  Deep cultivation is a practice that is slowly being abandoned.  Heresy in some circles, I know...

Good grief, again. Complete heresy. Tell us about deep cultivation and
why ...<fill in the blank>.

Where do you detractors get these crazy notions? GG Liddy is off the air
but I realize the dittoheads breed their lame mindset like flies
hoarding a cowpie like it was their last meal.

Seriously, didn't you mean to say that _tillage_ on agriculture fields
larger than gardens has fallen out of favor because of soil erosion
and exposing organic matter to be oxidized and lost releasing Co2 into
the atmosphere. But to disallow double dug gardening for the above
reasons is extremely short sighted and representative of poor planning,
depriving a gardener of one of the best time tested soil quality
improvement methods ever devised. Read John Jeavons and Alan Chadwick on
the subject, also Eliot Coleman and hundreds more experienced organic
gardeners who have written on the subject.