[permaculture] upland Mediterranean climate

Rain Tenaqiya raincascadia at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 7 13:34:13 EST 2009

Dieter,

What is your elevation and temperature regime?  We are at 1160 ft (350 meters).  It usually gets down to around 22 F (-5 C) during the Winter, though it has probably gone down to 12 F (-11 C).  We get these Spring frosts that are unusually cold which are also unusually colder than the main valley below us for some reason that often destroy our stone fruit crops and things like potatoes.  In the Summer, we usually have around 14 days of temperatures over 100 F (38 C), typically getting to around 110 F (44 C).  Our average high is supposed to be 92 F (34 C), but I think it's been hotter since we moved here five years ago.  The Summer nights usually get into the 50s (10s in C), as we are 30 miles from the ocean which is epicenter of upwelling and the coldest ocean temperatures on the US West Coast.  This makes it hard for many fruits to ripen properly.  Kind of a weird climate, eh?

By the way, what is a waterline?  At our place, only the hardiest trees can survive the strategy you use.  I don't think I could get any fruit from unirrigated trees, except maybe for olives in the shade.  I still need to experiment with pushing the limits on drought tolerance, but for the price of most trees, it makes much more sense to give them all the love and care that they need to thrive.

Rain