[permaculture] US National Permaculture Conference proposal.

Michael Pilarski friendsofthetrees at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 6 22:46:21 EST 2009

US National Permaculture Conference proposal.

Shall we dance?

To the permaculture community,

There has only been one US national permaculture conference and it was defacto rather than stated, as it was the 2nd International Permaculture Convergence and Conference held in 1986, respectively in Breitenbush Hot Springs, Oregon and Evergreen State College in Olympia, Washington.  700 people attended the conference from around the world and from around the US.

I have always found it suprising that no other national conference has been held.  I suppose it is because the energy and expense of doing one has been too daunting for any local or regional group.

I have considered pulling together a coalition of people to do one, but have not done so for the above reason.  I am sure that others have also toyed with the idea.  Is anyone thinking of doing so at this time?

Our organizing committee for our Washington State Permaculture Convergence is currently looking at putting on a Pacific Northwest Permaculture Conference at Evergreen State College  in September 2010. It would not be inconceivable to scale up to a national event. If there was wide support (and real help) from other parts of the country. Anyone game?

As far as regional permaculture gatherings, there have been many, but I know of no one place you can look up the consecutive history.  Perhaps someone would like to go through the calender of events in every issue of the Permaculture Activist and make us a master list. That would be peachy keen and probably only take a day or two.

Some regional gatherings include:
1. The northeast US pc convergence held annually for many years, but I think it has not been happening for some time.
2. The SE US pc convergence has been held annually for many years, and is still continuing.
3. the Southwest US had a series of annual events some years back.
4. California has had a number of regional gatherings over the years.
5. Oregon had its 10th annual pc reunion in 2008.
6. In the 1980’s and into the 90s there was a series of Pacific Northwest Permaculture Rendezvous, which I helped organize. The first 5 were held at the Bullock Brothers Homestead on Orcas Island and were dubbed the Orcas Island Bog Toss.
7. Minnesota held its 2nd Annual Permaculture Collaborative Meeting on January 27, 2009. Hosted by Intelligent Nutrients Inc.
8. The 2nd Washington State Permaculture Convergence was held this September.
9. Isabel at Udan Farm mentioned an annual event held in New York state.
10. Rhonda just mentioned a Mid-September 2010, Bloomington, Indiana, Midwest regional event which is in the making.
11. It would be great to hear about any ones I haven’t mentioned.

A national gathering would be useful, but certainly more important are a plethora of regional and local permaculture gatherings.

In my opinion, we only have a short window of time for affordable long-distance travel which is easily available to the masses.  Time will tell.

Anyone interested?

Michael Pilarski
Michael at friendsofthetrees.net
Friends of the Trees Society
Washington State Permaculture Convergence co-organizer.