[permaculture] 3rd ethic; was: What I hope to achieve from this list ?

Gene Griffith nijin at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 4 13:31:07 EST 2009

I also was moved by the 3rd ethic of fair share, in the past for example, we have held tightly to the notion that only those who could afford information should have it. You had to pay for basic education, books and training. Eventually culture evolved  and now we have free public schools and library that shares information freely and everyone in society benefits. The printing press at first was disparaged for many of the same reasons digitalization of books is currently.
Permaculture to grow must be shared. It is ethical to withhold information that enables society to repair the earth and help civilization progress? The problem is that the producers of works need to flourish and we have a responsibility to those who contribute to take care of them. One solution could be to ask for a donation with a sliding scale, this would be a way to repay the writer and creator  for their contributions, and simple peer pressure can help make this happen. Copyright needs to be dealt with and this is only one suggestion.
To me fair share is important and should be part of permaculture ethics.

Gene Griffith

twitter @_grene_

I see the 3rd ethic (fair share) being a bit ambiguous but also to me the
most important because without it there is no way to live up to the first
two ethics.

Toby you're an excellent writer because of the thoughtful balanced analysis
in your essays and your awesome book sits nicely worn on my book shelf (and
in my netbook).  I wanted to ask you if you had thought about the long
tail<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Tail>issue and weather you
would offer Gaia's Garden as cheap sliding scale
download to set a successful example that might overturn Tagari's reluctance
to join the digital age.

--
The obstacle is the Path.
-Zen Proverb