[permaculture] arid soil building

lbsaltzman at aol.com lbsaltzman at aol.com
Thu Dec 3 17:34:06 EST 2009

We live in a more Southern Mediterranean climate and have even less rain, though the pattern is similar. We are working a much smaller property than you have, and it has taken years to build up the soil.  It is deep clay subsoil. The top soil had been depleted by bad orchard management back in the 1930s and 40s before the area had been sub-divided.  We still have patches that are only suitable for perennials. Annuals just don't thrive in the heavy clay.

I swear that there should be an association of Mediterranean climate farmers and gardeners. We are a forgotten minority. I find few books that address our needs in general gardening or farming books.  So much more is geared to temperate zone climates.

Larry