[permaculture] Overly optimistic permaculture attitude towards land

lbsaltzman at aol.com lbsaltzman at aol.com
Thu Dec 3 17:24:41 EST 2009

Certainly no experience of the legal part.  I have a B.A. in anthropology and an M.A. in the social sciences specializing in human systems theory.  My wife is a licensed psychotherapist. So we have been interested in both the psychology and anthropology of creating human systems that work.  Indigenous tribes had thousands of years to evolve social systems that worked in the ecosystems they lived in. We are starting from scratch in many ways.

I think going slow is good.  In Santa Barbara there is a strong neighborhood exchange system that is working. People meet in neighborhoods to exchange home grown produce, seeds and plants. Now it is expanding to anything that can be freely exchanged.  The community building has been amazing to watch.  Moving to rural farm areas and building a community from scratch may be harder than reconnecting community within a town or small city.

Larry