[permaculture] overly optimistic permaculture

Scott Vlaun scott at moosepondarts.com
Thu Dec 3 15:08:02 EST 2009

A couple things that worked well for me when I gardened in the desert
in NM, USA: One was to use old boards as mulch over newly sown beds
until the seeds germed, so no additional water was needed. I'd then
use them wherever possible over mulch to keep things moist but not
fry them like black plastic which is nasty business anyway.

I would also tarp compost piles after rains to hold the moisture for
as long as possible.

How much rain do you get?

Scott Vlaun
Moose Pond Arts+Ecology
Design Solutions for a Sustainable Future

450 Main Street, Studio 2
Norway, Maine 04268
http://www.moosepondarts.com
207-739-2409 Studio