[permaculture] Overly optimistic permaculture attitude towards land

Scott Vlaun scott at moosepondarts.com
Thu Dec 3 14:47:40 EST 2009

Well said Larry!

We've struggled with the intentional community building far more than
with the physical systems. (It's easier to throw a sump pump in a
poorly designed root cellar a couple times a year, than negotiate
you're way through a bad relationship with someone). We now have one
set of "intentional neighbors." Doing simple labor trades, a loose
CSA arrangement, managing our forest together, and treating each
other to dinner weekly has dramatically improved all of our lives.
Having the occasional partner on a moonlight ski is a bonus.

We all dream of taking it to the next level. We've consulted with the
folks at Occidental Arts and Ecology Center and they've been
extremely helpful. We've also met with our town and the are
supportive. After 10 or 20 meetings with sincerely interested folks
the challenge is a little clearer although still a bit daunting. For
many reasons, including  a few people being "upside down" on current
dwellings, folks just can't commit to making it happen and the ones
that have wanted to, have turned out to be in a hurry to join an
existing community or just turned out to be a bad fit in the end.

Our original idea was to get around 10 core people to initiate the
process and create the legal structures. We are now thinking along
the "build it and they will come" model for the short term. That is,
creating dwelling space so that people can test the waters and still
be participating in a worthwhile way.

Any experiences along these lines?

Scott Vlaun
Moose Pond Arts+Ecology
Design Solutions for a Sustainable Future

450 Main Street, Studio 2
Norway, Maine 04268
http://www.moosepondarts.com
207-739-2409 Studio