[permaculture] Overly optimistic permaculture attitude towardsland

Scott Pittman scott at permaculture.org
Thu Dec 3 13:29:47 EST 2009

Hear! Hear!!

Scott Pittman
Director
Permaculture Institute
www.permaculture.org
-----Original Message-----
From: permaculture-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:permaculture-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of
lbsaltzman at aol.com
Sent: Thursday, December 03, 2009 10:50 AM
To: permaculture at lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: Re: [permaculture] Overly optimistic permaculture attitude
towardsland

I think another missing element is invisible systems.  Our culture is
designed around the rugged individualist myth.  With the exception of some
successful intentional planned community my sense is that too many people
are tackling land solo or as couples.  I don't criticize that because that
is the way it is at this time, particularly in America. But in truth some of
these systems should be built by communities of people that are committed to
staying on the land for a long time as a true community. How we go a bout
building this kind of community is I suspect far harder than designing a
food forest or building a straw bale house.

Larry