[permaculture] Overly optimistic permaculture attitude towardsland

christopher nesbitt christopher.nesbitt at mmrfbz.org
Thu Dec 3 12:40:49 EST 2009

I think I should mention that my point had more to do with land that
is not suitable for agriculture at all being purchased for agriculture
than damaged agricultural land. Certainly, as designers, it is in our
interest to repair damaged land, and as potential land owners, damaged
land can usually be found for a lot cheaper than prime land.

There is plenty of damaged agricultural in the world, especially here
in the lowland humid tropics where we have so many acres of "emerald
wastelands", or green revolution deserts left behind when the
productive life span of that land/plant assembly has run its
inevitable course. When they come to the end of their life span, which
is extended by regular inputs of fertilizers and soil amendments, they
are left behind. Pioneering into those lands makes much more sense
than moving into rainforest. Places like this abound here in Belize,
and those acres that have lived lives as banana groves, citrus
orchards, sugar cane patches and cattle pastures can, in most cases,
be coaxed into being productive.

All of the land I farm here is on either ex-cattle pasture, abandoned
citrus grove or ex milpa, and most of the reparative work that has
been done has been very rewarding. The few slices of seriously damaged
land, land damaged by cattle, that we have tried to repair have not
been rewarding. You can see pictures of where it is working here: http://mmrfbz.org
  on the agroforesty link, here http://www.mmrfbz.org/Agroforestry_at_MMRF.html
. That, though, has been the result of over 20 years of observation
and work. That area was Valencia and Washington navel oranges in 1988.

There is a cut off point on damaged land whereby the effort to recover
fertility and coax food out of that land will not give a reward equal
to the effort in a time frame that works in the scale of a human life,
and that is a consideration that needs to be made by anyone looking
for a piece of land, but there is also land that simply should not be
used for agriculture, too, and that should be left alone. My example
in Orange Walk is one such place.

Christopher Nesbitt

Maya Mountain Research Farm
San Pedro Columbia, Toledo