[permaculture] Overly optimistic permaculture attitude towards land

Toby Hemenway toby at patternliteracy.com
Thu Dec 3 11:12:45 EST 2009

Rain, it sounds like the problem you and Nicholas have is mostly with
Bill's salemanship. He knowswill definitely catch more flies with honey
than with vinegar. But for every time I've heard him say "the designer
becomes the recliner" I've also heard him say, I still don't know how to
define permaculture and nobody seems to be doing it well. And if you've
ever  worked with a film crew, they don't encourage you to say how
difficult it's all going to be. So I'm okay with cutting Bill some
slack. I don't see much support for a sweeping claim that "permaculture"
is doing people a disservice. And I've definitely seen large areas of
soil made fertile and local climates (over acres) changed using
permaculture. Yes, it's easier to start with good soil, and much land
isn't meant to be farmed, but I can't blame Bill if I don't know that.

I think we take home what we are predisposed to learn. And westerners,
especially college educated ones who've never used a shovel, like it all
to be easy. Probably after 20 years of doing Pc, Bill may have felt that
most of it was pretty easy. I was with him when he went to a place to do
a design consult, and he told me he had the whole design worked out
between the time he saw the house from down the lane and when we parked
the car. If you watch a calligraphy master make a lifetime's work look
easy, and then get pissed off when your first brushwork is a mess, I
don't think it's fair to blame the master.

What I see in the permaculture literature--like the Designer's
Manual--looks pretty damn challenging to me, so I'm not sure how anyone
who digs into it would think it is easy. It's true that people make lots
of mistakes similar to the one Christopher mentioned, but I suspect
that's partly because we carry our own preconceptions with us ("now I
can be master of the landscape!") and because some people  consider
themselves an expert after taking one PDC ("now I'm a certified
permaculture designer!" Uh, hardly.) We're also so terribly disconnected
from the land that our idea of how much work planting and caring for,
say, 20 nut trees, is based on nothing but romantic Hollywood fantasy.
Then you put up the deer screen for the 30th time or haul the 50th
bucket of water, and you want to cry. But it's hard for me to see how
that is permaculture's fault, rather than that of our own ignorance and
conviction that there's got to be a magic bullet that will make it all easy.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com