[permaculture] Overly optimistic permaculture attitude towards land

Scott Vlaun scott at moosepondarts.com
Thu Dec 3 00:30:45 EST 2009

When I interviewed Bill Mollison he related this story. it has always
inspired me not to be discouraged by poor soil.

http://www.seedsofchange.com/cutting_edge/interview.aspx

"...in Ecuador, around a little town whose name is Cangagua, when
they took the rain forest off there was only a thin layer of soil,
about a foot, and it washed away. Underneath that was silica, so all
the hills and valleys and everything's made out of glass. So you own
a glass landscape; how do you reclaim that? Standing on a glass hill
looking at a glass valley with a glass hill across the valley. Well,
one day, some of the troops in permaculture down there on the coast
noticed a guy up on one of those hills with a sledge hammer and he
was breaking the glass-which is thick-smashing it up and making a
sort of channel around the hill and then he was planting little trees
in the channel and they said, "Oh we can't let him do that on his
own," so they all went up there and helped him break channels around
the hills. And now they say there's a little jungle coming along but
it's going to take much longer than five to six years, but he decided
that he wasn't going to be dispirited by the glass. Cangagua, it's
called, after the town where it is. So, there are some very
discouraging places.

Since then we've managed to coax a trashed-out logging landing in the
woods, with very little soil and lots of erosion, into around five
thousand square feet of fertile raised beds, and produce some surplus
for our coop.  We've gleaned tons of organic matter from local
resources but have also trucked in some locally made compost. Our
local cafe, conveniently located under our office in town and whom we
supply with greens, has been a great source of food waste which feeds
our chickens which feed the gardens. We've just discovered tons of
invasive plants that have been pulled from the local lake.

It seems like for most of us that are not blessed with 10 feet of
topsoil there are abundant resources of organic matter nearby in the
form of animal manures and food waste, not to mention of course
humanure which we'll all have to deal with to create anything close
to sustainable systems in the long run. CityFarm in Chicago is a
great example of a closed loop right in the city (no humanure...yet).
They have over an acre of organic production growing in windrows of
compost created from, among other sources, the waste stream of the
restaurants that they deliver produce to. Of course, plenty of fossil
fuel is burned in the process, but everything they do could be done
with human power. It will just take a lot more people.

We are now looking at two new projects which will need vast amounts
of organic matter to create soil. One is down a hill from a horse
farm and  the other is in a small urban setting. In the former, a
private residence, the horses could haul their own manure to the
site, in the latter, a community garden project we could use bicycles
with trailers to haul waste in from the neighborhood.

I'm sure most of this group has read Heinberg's "50,000,000 Farmers"
essay. I still find it to be a source of inspiration and hope that we
can redefine "agriculture" to something that is human-scale,
community based, beautiful, and ultimately sustainable.

Scott Vlaun
Moose Pond Arts+Ecology
Design Solutions for a Sustainable Future

450 Main Street, Studio 2
Norway, Maine 04268
http://www.moosepondarts.com
207-739-2409 Studio