[permaculture] permaculture Digest, Vol 83, Issue 4

Lawrence F. London, Jr. venaurafarm at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 2 14:42:20 EST 2009

Permaculture Cooperative wrote:
> you can find a lot of people in Australia who have similar views.... got
> sold a dream by Mollison and then went to do it, slogged away at it for
> years and years, trying really extreme low-input farming systems, and then
> realised after nearly killing themselves that a lot of what he told them was
> "optimistic" etc... the ideas are great, the ethics (especially Fair Share)
> golden, and the framework is highly promising if you are a skilled
> gardener/farmer and have a good position in life...
>
> my favorite myth is the "set-up a permaculture garden and then go away and
> teach and travel and come back and it will be all good, productive,
> in-balance with nature etc" as if set-up of a climax ecosystem is easy or
> quick... its equivalent to the perpetual motion machine

That's all negative. You seem to choose this rather than the positive
aspects of Mollison's and other's teachings, including turning marginal
land into productive food-producing garden space. You have so much
material to draw on but instead you post that flavorless pith above, not
fit even for Chuthlu's table. Many of your posts have that tone with the
unmistakable flavor of spam.

Noone forced those 'unfortunate victims of Mollison's teachings' to
try and fail at implementing his concepts. You know, they actually could
have come up with their own ideas and given them a try, listened to
their elders and used traditional methods incorporating those with
Mollison's. That would have required thinking and working, of course,
a spark of interest and originality.

 > my favorite myth is the "set-up a permaculture garden and then go away
 > and teach and travel and come back and it will be all good,
 > productive, in-balance with nature etc" as if set-up of a climax
 > ecosystem is easy or quick... its equivalent to the perpetual motion
 > machine

What a thing to say. I am beginning to wonder how interested you
actually are in Permaculture.