[permaculture] Fwd: Permaculture TV - The Real Dirt On Farmer John

Lawrence F. London, Jr. venaurafarm at bellsouth.net
Tue Dec 1 16:43:37 EST 2009

Robyn Francis wrote:
> On 1/12/09 2:43 PM, "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm at bellsouth.net>
> wrote:
>
>>> I haven't seen this movie, but I've read the reviews. I was unaware that
>>> he'd inherited a great farm and nearly crashed it. That is inexcuseable.
>> Of course it is and that's why we are in such a fix now with loss of
>> farmland and farms and soil and environmental quality.
>
> Hey guys, why don't you see the movie before commenting...

The only thing available (for free) is the trailer. Why isn't the whole
movie free if he is trying to get the good word out, about the nice
things touched on in the trailer? CSA's are very important as are
farmers markets, and the right to work and make a living including being
self employed.

> The story of Farmer John is a success story for Community Supported
> Agriculture and organics. The family farm went bust due to a lot of factors
> and he leant from it, started again and turned things around on a smaller
 > parcel growing organic veg.

The trailer said that he "had to sell of most of the family land to pay
off debts". What kind of debts and why, after inheriting a world class
farm was he in debt at all? Why, after going into debt and selling off
that land to get out from under didn't he just create an intentional
community or a land cooperative giving potential community members and
other farmers the opportunity to buy into his farm. I don't know who he
sold the land too but what if it was for  realestate ventures or some
chemical and gmo farmer? What a loss.

It just seems that same old thing, irresponsibly goes into debt and
sells off the family farm to clear out the red ink then comes up
smelling like a rose with a small market operation, exonerating himself
of mismanagement. He probably sold the land at the wrong time for
muchless than its worth and its worth, big acreage of 10' deep black
prairie soil in Illinois in an intense farming region with lots of truck
farming and orcharding. Doesn't seem like he is setting much of an
example except by promoting natural agriculture and csa's.

Its a shame to see a big farm with prime prairie soil get sold off at
all for any reason.